Impressionist Butterfly Bush

Impressionist Butterfly Bush

As the the summer nights grow warmer we are often greeted with a healthy dose of condensation on our windows in the morning. This year we have a butterfly bush that has grown in front of one of the windows in our great room. Its leaves and buds press against the window. One particular morning last weekend, the bush was pressed against the window as the morning condensation rolled down the glass. As I drank my morning coffee I set my Fujifilm X-Pro2 on a tripod and began to capture the scene.

Read More

Painting The Dock Part II

Fixing The Slips

This weekend we began the second phase of painting our dock for the wedding. While working on the dock last week we had noticed that one of the boat slips was pulling away from the rest of the dock and needed to be repaired. Victoria’s uncle and cousins came over on Saturday morning and we all jumped in the lake to work on fixing the slip.

The boat slips sit on short 4”x 4” posts and concrete blocks that act as footers. Upon further inspection the slips had shifted off their footings and that is what was causing them to pull away from land. We were able to lift the slips off the ground and slide the footings back under the legs. The result is the boat slips are much sturdier now and should last a few more years before they have to be maintained again.

The First Coat

After fixing up the structural integrity of the dock we moved on to applying the first coat of paint. When it comes to painter options were limited. In contrast to deck stains only a few companies offer a very limited selection of paint for decks. In the end we decided to go with a product called deck correct. You apply the product like any other paint, and it lays on very thick. I'm interested to see how it holds up over the next year or so.

The first coat took us about 2 hours to apply. Victoria used to brush to paint the sides and gaps of the dock I use a roller to paint the top. We underestimated the amount of paint that we would need to cover the dock and ran out just at the end as we painting the step. We decided to let it dry and hit it with a second coat the following day.

The Second Coat

Laying down a second coat on the dock required another trip to Lowes to purchase more paint. We must have underestimated the amount of paint required or laid the first coat on too thick. I haven’t quite been able to figure that out. What I do know is that we were able to apply the second coat much faster than the first. After about two hours the dock was covered. All we had to do was wait for it to dry.

We have another project that is crossed off our list now. This one loomed over us for a while and it feels great to get it over the line. We are in the final stretch leading up to the wedding and everything is coming together. Our excitement is building for the big day. I have been making a habit of documenting all of our projects not only because I’m obsessed with photography, but also because I believe it is a great way to capture all of the effort that goes into our big day. My trusty Fujifilm X-Pro2 is by my side at all times and even Victoria will manage to capture a few photographs of me from time to time as you can see below.

The full gallery of images can be found in my archive