Painting The Dock Part II

Fixing The Slips

This weekend we began the second phase of painting our dock for the wedding. While working on the dock last week we had noticed that one of the boat slips was pulling away from the rest of the dock and needed to be repaired. Victoria’s uncle and cousins came over on Saturday morning and we all jumped in the lake to work on fixing the slip.

The boat slips sit on short 4”x 4” posts and concrete blocks that act as footers. Upon further inspection the slips had shifted off their footings and that is what was causing them to pull away from land. We were able to lift the slips off the ground and slide the footings back under the legs. The result is the boat slips are much sturdier now and should last a few more years before they have to be maintained again.

The First Coat

After fixing up the structural integrity of the dock we moved on to applying the first coat of paint. When it comes to painter options were limited. In contrast to deck stains only a few companies offer a very limited selection of paint for decks. In the end we decided to go with a product called deck correct. You apply the product like any other paint, and it lays on very thick. I'm interested to see how it holds up over the next year or so.

The first coat took us about 2 hours to apply. Victoria used to brush to paint the sides and gaps of the dock I use a roller to paint the top. We underestimated the amount of paint that we would need to cover the dock and ran out just at the end as we painting the step. We decided to let it dry and hit it with a second coat the following day.

The Second Coat

Laying down a second coat on the dock required another trip to Lowes to purchase more paint. We must have underestimated the amount of paint required or laid the first coat on too thick. I haven’t quite been able to figure that out. What I do know is that we were able to apply the second coat much faster than the first. After about two hours the dock was covered. All we had to do was wait for it to dry.

We have another project that is crossed off our list now. This one loomed over us for a while and it feels great to get it over the line. We are in the final stretch leading up to the wedding and everything is coming together. Our excitement is building for the big day. I have been making a habit of documenting all of our projects not only because I’m obsessed with photography, but also because I believe it is a great way to capture all of the effort that goes into our big day. My trusty Fujifilm X-Pro2 is by my side at all times and even Victoria will manage to capture a few photographs of me from time to time as you can see below.

The full gallery of images can be found in my archive

Northern Mockingbird

Northern Mockingbird

A Northern Mockingbird has been terrorizing our yard for the past few days. In the two years that we have been in our home this is the first time I remember seeing one. It’s quite aggressive, and it spends a majority of it’s time squawking at us while perched in the trees that surround our backyard.

Read More

Kitchen Floor Pt. 3

After the dust had settled from the week long demolition of our floors, we decided to begin our weekend by creating even more dust to sit on top of the dust we already made. the more the merrier right?

The goal for Saturday was to install a subfloor with the help of Mark and Leigh (Tori's Mom and Stepdad) that would level off the different areas of the room providing us with an even surface to install our vinyl plank flooring. The elephant in the room was a giant 4 foot by 2 foot pad of concrete that sat at one end of the room, closest to our laundry room door. Throughout the week we had developed a multitude of theroies as to what the purpose of this pad was. Was is an old fireplace? A solid footing for an old furnace or oil heater? Was it the final resting place for one of the previous owners enemies? We we're stumped...

- Mysterious concrete slab from Part 2.

What we did know was that in order to install the subfloor, it had to be capped or removed. Our original plan was to chisel off some of the top but the air chisel we borrowed was not cooperating. Our attempt to trim the surface using hand tools proved just as difficult. This left us with one other option. Remove it.

We had to dig up some more information about this slab and that required a trip to the basement or as I call it Cricketville. (we have a lot of crickets under there.) After Victoria and I ventured into the crawlspace we noticed that we could see some concrete above the floorboards in the location we belived the slab resided. After a couple of swings with a sledgerhammer it was apparent that the slab was only a few inches thick. We then decided to break it up into pieces remove as much as we could.

After some "archaeology" as I was calling it, we soon had the enough of the slab removed. Mark made a frame out of 2x4's and capped it with some of the plywood we removed from the carpeted section of the floor a few days earlier.

- Slab removed!

With the giant slab of concrete out of the way the rest of the subfloor was laid down with relative ease. I helped Mark measure and cut the 4ft x 8ft sections of underlayment while Victoria stapled them in place. Mark was a real help with his expert carpentry skills. After Saturday I have a new appreciation of what you can do with a circular saw, especially a left-handed one.

- another top quality photo by Victoria.

All we have left now is to install the floor. It's a daunting task for two budding DIY'ers but I'm sure we can figure it out. At this point with just the subfloor in place you can see how much bigger the room looks. The absence of the dark burgundy carpet really brightens the room up as you can see from the daytime photos below. Its a small glimpse of what the room will look like when we are finished. Until Part 4... enjoy the photos.

The After