I love this image for it's framing. I was unsure about it as I was taking it. After importing it to Lightroom and making a few adjustments it quickly became somethimg.Read More
Fixing The Slips
This weekend we began the second phase of painting our dock for the wedding. While working on the dock last week we had noticed that one of the boat slips was pulling away from the rest of the dock and needed to be repaired. Victoria’s uncle and cousins came over on Saturday morning and we all jumped in the lake to work on fixing the slip.
The boat slips sit on short 4”x 4” posts and concrete blocks that act as footers. Upon further inspection the slips had shifted off their footings and that is what was causing them to pull away from land. We were able to lift the slips off the ground and slide the footings back under the legs. The result is the boat slips are much sturdier now and should last a few more years before they have to be maintained again.
The First Coat
After fixing up the structural integrity of the dock we moved on to applying the first coat of paint. When it comes to painter options were limited. In contrast to deck stains only a few companies offer a very limited selection of paint for decks. In the end we decided to go with a product called deck correct. You apply the product like any other paint, and it lays on very thick. I'm interested to see how it holds up over the next year or so.
The first coat took us about 2 hours to apply. Victoria used to brush to paint the sides and gaps of the dock I use a roller to paint the top. We underestimated the amount of paint that we would need to cover the dock and ran out just at the end as we painting the step. We decided to let it dry and hit it with a second coat the following day.
The Second Coat
Laying down a second coat on the dock required another trip to Lowes to purchase more paint. We must have underestimated the amount of paint required or laid the first coat on too thick. I haven’t quite been able to figure that out. What I do know is that we were able to apply the second coat much faster than the first. After about two hours the dock was covered. All we had to do was wait for it to dry.
We have another project that is crossed off our list now. This one loomed over us for a while and it feels great to get it over the line. We are in the final stretch leading up to the wedding and everything is coming together. Our excitement is building for the big day. I have been making a habit of documenting all of our projects not only because I’m obsessed with photography, but also because I believe it is a great way to capture all of the effort that goes into our big day. My trusty Fujifilm X-Pro2 is by my side at all times and even Victoria will manage to capture a few photographs of me from time to time as you can see below.
The full gallery of images can be found in my archive
A Northern Mockingbird has been terrorizing our yard for the past few days. In the two years that we have been in our home this is the first time I remember seeing one. It’s quite aggressive, and it spends a majority of it’s time squawking at us while perched in the trees that surround our backyard.Read More
Yesterday we began the long and arduous process of re-painting our dock. This is one of the projects that we have been putting off for a while despite it being one of the most important items on our to do list. In just under 90 days, Victoria and I will be married on our dock so it has to look it’s very best for our special day.
A few months ago we decided that that the easiest thing to do in our limited amount of time (and budget) was to repaint the dock. With the wedding fast approaching, removing the entire surface and replacing it with composite decking is just too far out of our budget.
When we began cleaning the deck yesterday we realized that most of the surface was coming off with a light rinse and decided to power wash the deck instead. After a couple hours of power washing and a quick trip to Wawa for gas, the surface of the dock was much cleaner than it was when we started. Beneath all of that paint was some really nice wood, and it’s almost a shame that we couldn’t stain it and retain some of it’s natural charm.
We didn't have to remove all the old paint because the new paint that we are using goes on pretty thick and is designed to cover up imperfections and old left over paint.
I managed to take a few photographs before we began power washing the main portion of the dock and while Victoria was doing her thing. I planned on taking a few more today while we were painting but unfortunately while testing out the new paint on a small area of the dock we decided that the color is just too blue for our liking. It is a minor setback but perhaps we lucked out for now. As I’m typing this, rain is falling in buckets from the sky. I highly doubt our dock would have dried in time to beat the weather. For now the dock will have to wait until next weekend to get it’s fresh coat of paint. Till then it’s of to Lowe’s to pick out a more pleasing color.
The rest of the images can be seen on my image archive here
This past weekend our families held Victoria's bridal shower at her sister's house down the street. All of the men came over our house and I spent a majority of the day sitting on the deck or enjoying the beautiful weather on the dock. At one point we made our way down to the dam to partake in some evening bass fishing. It was one of the more memorable days of this spring so far. I'm sure there will be many more as we make our way in to summer.
When the weekends roll around I try to do my best to keep my phone in the office and enjoy our surroundings. Despite having a digital camera by my side, lately I find myself being drawn to more analog experiences. In a world dominated by algorithms, artificial intelligence, and endless scrolling. Days like this remind me that nature is the great entertainer.